Children learn in multiple different ways. They are constantly watching, absorbing, and interacting within their own little worlds, not only trying to make sense of it, but also trying to learn from it. With such a strong focus being placed nationally on STEM educations (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), children are learning less and less of, and not being exposed to, enough arts and music. There are so many benefits for children to gain while learning through a curriculum that includes art and music. But sadly, many kids today aren’t able to enjoy these benefits in an educational setting. At Corner Canyon Academy, we encourage education in the arts. Here are just a few of our top ways that children can greatly benefit through learning about art and music:
- Be Creative– Children learn how to be more creative by discovering how to think in more abstract situations. Creativity helps children to learn how to approach and handle different obstacles that may be placed in front of them. Having a creative mind will always help a child to develop into a more clear adulthood.
- Be Self-Confident– With art and music, children will learn how to become more comfortable with their artistic works by sharing them with others. Learning from practicing pieces, or performing in front of an audience, will encourage them to be more confident. It will also help them to be less likely to feel self-conscious about something that they have created, or worked hard to master.
- Perseverance– Children who practice art and music learn skills of not giving up. Art and music teach them to press forward in achieving their goals. They need to persevere to reach those goals. In order to master a musical instrument, perform a dance, or learn a theater arrangement, the child must work hard and practice, achieving them along the way.
- Focus– Art and music take an eye for detail to be able to focus on goals, and create something to be proud of. The ability to be able to learn how to concentrate on tasks on a larger scale is highly invaluable. Just like one instrument must work with the rest of the orchestra in order to be successful.
- Non-Verbal Communication and Expression– Children can often times have a lack of the right words to say in order to accurately reflect how they might be feeling. Art and music are a great way for children to express themselves, and communicate their feelings. It is also a great way to challenge children to create something from their emotions to convey into art or music.
- Social Skills– Art and musical activities often require the ability to work with others to achieve a goal. Working together with their peers and teachers will help children to learn how to work effectively with one another by offering their inputs, and by listening to one another. It will also teach them to respect the importance of these working relationships, as well.
- Dedication and Hard Work– Children that learn how to work hard and dedicate themselves to something will become successful in their future endeavors. Being dedicated and working hard is an important quality to have for all aspects of life, from childhood to adulthood.
Children who are exposed to art and music from an early age will learn far more than just how to create art, play an instrument, or act in a play. Early exposure to art and music is crucial for healthy, well-rounded development. Look into starting your child’s learning early, around preschool age. Placing them in a preschool that reflects the importance of music and art in education is far more beneficial than you may even realize!
Leave a Reply